Wednesday, December 21, 2011

To see how our clothes are made....

...filled me with humility and respect for all the employees in similar weaving factories all over India, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Cambodia and so forth...I usually check my clothes for their origin, however, it only used to bring up some vague picture of women working in dark and dusty factory halls for a few pennies. Having been there, breathing the dusty air, blinking in the dark, looking at the huge stacks of yarn, witnessing the process of separating the yarn piles, coiling the yarn according to color, rolling it on mandrels and, eventually, weaving a shirt fabric with it was mind-opening. As this weaving factory was open to foreigners and the owner happily explained the whole production process to us and was proud to present his business, I don´t want to know how the big commercial weaving factories for all our bargain clothing look like...it is an impressive and laborious process...and once more, as so often while traveling, I learned to appreciate something I used to consider as banal...







 



No comments:

Post a Comment